The analysis of the data provided by Member States to the INCB shows that the amount of opiate raw material available for the manufacturing of narcotic drugs for pain relief is more than sufficient to satisfy the current level of demand as reported by Governments and that global stocks are increasing. Despite this, the consumption of narcotic drugs for pain relief is concentrated in a limited number of countries. Access to these drugs continues to be uneven with consumption concentrated primarily in countries in North America, Western Europe and Oceania. The reality is that, for example, 92 per cent of the world's morphine is consumed by 17 per cent of the world's population while the rest of the world population (83 per cent) consumes just 8 per cent.
An INCB mission visited Iceland from 25 to 27 March 2014. The mission was conducted by the First Vice-President of the Board, Dr. Galina Korchagina, accompanied by Ms. Beate Hammond of the INCB Secretariat. The purpose of the mission was to discuss specific issues related to the country's implementation of the three international drug control conventions, to which it is party. This was the first mission of the Board to Iceland.
- March 20, 2014 - Side event on the International Import Export Authorization System (I2ES) during the 57th session of CND
- March 13, 2014 - INCB president addresses the high-level segment of the 57th Commission on Narcotic Drugs
- March 5, 2014 - INCB encourages States to consider the abolition of the death penalty for drug-related offences
The International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) is the independent and quasi-judicial monitoring body for the implementation of the United Nations international drug control conventions. It was established in 1968 in accordance with the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961. It had predecessors under the former drug control treaties as far back as the time of the League of Nations.